Cooking With The Disney Princess Cookbook – Princess Tiana’s Southern Spoon Bread
My wife and daughter found some time this past weekend for some Mommy / Daughter time in the kitchen. Helping Mommy cook is truly one of Jayla’s favorite things to do. Jayla and Mommy recently made Abu’s Monkey Bread and it was such a hit they decided to make a side dish for Saturday nights pot roast dinner using Jayla’s cookbook, The Disney Princess Cookbook. After flipping through the pages, Jayla told us she and Mom were going to make Princess Tiana’s Southern Spoon Bread. Perfect choice to accompany Kristi’s pot roast.
Here is everything you need to recreate Princess Tiana’s Southern Spoon Bread!
INGREDIENTS: 2 Cups Milk 1 Cup Water 1 TBSP Butter 1 TSP Salt 1 Cup Cornmeal 2 Eggs 2 TBSP Honey 2 1/2 TSB Baking Powder
DIRECTIONS: 1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
2. Ask an adult to help you at the stove. Heat the milk and water in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Turn the heat to low as soon as bubbles form against the pan (before the milk boils). Add the butter and salt, and stir until the butter melts.
3. Slowly whisk the cornmeal into the milk. Keep whisking just until the mixture thickens (about 1 minute). Remove the pan from the heat and let the cornmeal cool a bit.
4. Next, separate the egg yolks and the egg whites into different bowls.
5. Beat the egg whites with a mixer until they are foamy and stiff, and set them aside.
6. Beat together the yolks, honey, and baking powder with a fork or whisk. Then whisk the mixture into the cornmeal. Pour the cornmeal mixture into the bowl of beaten egg whites.
7. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the egg whites into the cornmeal.
8. Scrape the spoon bread batter into the buttered casserole dish. Ask an adult to help you put the dish in the oven. Bake it until the top turns golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (about 25-30 minutes). Serve the Southern Spoon Bread warm, scooping it out of the casserole dish with a big spoon!
According to Jayla this this recipe required a little more help from Mommy but she she had a great time making it.
Here is Jayla with her completed Southern Spoon Bread before we ate every single bite of it.
#Disney #Merida #Baking #WaltDisney #SnowWhite #cookingwithkids #CornbreadRecipe #DisneyPrincessCookbook #Rapunzel