Superbowl Desserts: Battle of the Pecans
One thing we had plenty of when we lived in Texas was PECANS (yes, I pronounce it PEE-CANS)! We are very lucky in that my inlaws live on a working Pecan Plantation, so these delicious nuts were always available to us. Even now they will mail us fresh pecans when in season.
This year, for today’s Superbowl festivities, our family is joining several other folks that have taken the Florida Plunge and relocated to Orlando from various parts of the country. Today’s Superbowl match up is not just about the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks, but it’s also Superbowl Sunday, BATTLE OF THE PECANS! . Today’s competitors are the Texas Pecan Pie Bars and Texas Sheet Cake!
They are both DELICIOUS and based on past experience I think they will both be a winner.
Want to make these Pecan desserts for your next party? Here’s the recipes.
PECAN PIE BARS
Ingredients for Shortbread Base 3/4 Cup Butter 2 Cups Flour 1/2 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar 1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
Ingredients for Filling 1/2 Cup of Butter 1 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar 1/3 Cup Honey 2 Tablespoons Cream (I Use Milk) 1 Teaspoon Vanilla 2 Cups Pecans, Chopped
DIRECTIONS 1. Shortbread base: mix above ingredients together until mixture is crumbly.
2. Pat crumbs into a lightly-greased 13×9 inch pan.
3. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes.
4. While this is baking, prepare filling.
5. Filling: melt butter over low heat in small saucepan.
6. Once melted, stir in remaining ingredients except for pecans.
7. Simmer over low heat for about a minute.
8. Remove from heat and stir in pecans.
9. Pour mixture over hot crust and spread evenly.
10. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes until center is bubbly.
11. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
12. Cut into bars when cool.
TEXAS SHEET CAKE
Ingredients for Cake 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon 1 Pinch Salt 1/2 Cup Melted Butter 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil 2 Cups Sugar 2 Eggs 1/2 Cup Buttermilk 1 Cup Water 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Ingredients for Icing 1/4 Cup Milk 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 1/2 Cup Butter 2 Cups Powder Sugar 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract 1 Cup Chopped Pecans
DIRECTIONS 1. For the cake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 13 by 9 inch baking pan. In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed beat together butter, oil, sugar, eggs, milk, water, and vanilla. On low speed gradually add flour mixture and beat until blended.
3. Pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Make the icing while the cake is baking.
4. For the icing: In a medium saucepan stir together milk and cocoa. Add butter, heat until butter is melted, stirring constantly over medium heat.
5. Gradually stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. When the cake is just out of the oven spread icing over and sprinkle with pecans. Let cake cool completely on a cooling rack.