On My Plunge List! Not Your Typical Florida Roadside Tourist Attractions
Most of us have been to Walt Disney World, Universal and many of the other typical attractions locations in Florida. This post about those Florida Tourist Attractions that are NOT TYPICAL, yet worth the stop. Something tells me many of these will get added to my Plunge List.
Here are some of Florida’s NOT SO TYPICAL Attractions:
1. Sugarloaf Key Bat Tower – This historic site is located in Monroe County, FL just northeast of U.S. 1 at Mile Marker 17. Built in 1926 to help decrease the mosquito population, it is now on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Sugarloaf Key Bat Tower
2. Whimzyland Bowling Ball House – With more than 500 bowling balls lining the flower beds and bordering the house, this odd house in Safety Harbour, FL is definitely a must see.
Whimzyland Bowling Ball House
3. The Bubble Room Restaurant and Emporium – Located on Captiva Island in Southwest Florida, this one should be on everyone’s must do list! The Bubble Room opened in 1979 and I’m happy to say that I’ve visited at least once every Summer since 1980. You can read about our visit this past Summer here.
The Bubble Room And Emporium
4. Big Daddy Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing – Located in Ocala, FL, this museum is spread over several rooms and houses more than 200 quarter milers including, fuel dragsters, stock cars, funny cars and exhibitions cars like the Little Red Wagon.
Big Daddy John Garlits Drag Racing Museum
5. Johnny Donutseed – Located on Hwy 59 in Lloyd, FL, this reworked Johnny Appleseed now carries a donut and coffee mug. This statue stands approx 10 1/2 feet tall and it’s definitely worth the detour to get a picture with this guy.
6. Smallest Post Office In the U.S. – Ochopee, FL is hope to the smallest post office in the United States. The small building, once a tool shed for a tomato farm, was converted into the post office after a fire in 1953 destroyed the original Ochopee Post Office located in the Gaunt Company Store. This tiny building is located about 3 miles east of U.S. 41 and State Road 29.
Smallest Post Office In The U.S.
7. Wakulla Springs – Located in Wakulla Springs, FL, at this state park you can take a 40-60 minute glass bottom boat ride and if you are lucky, Henry-The-Pole-Vaulting-Fish might make an appearance!
8. Spook Hill – Located in Lake Wales, FL, Spook Hill is known worldwide for an off phenomenon that many say is haunted. Visitors can park their cars at the bottom of the hill, place it in neutral and see as their car seems to defy gravity and be pushed up to the top of the hill.
9. Monument of States – Located in Kissimmee, this 40 foot structure was built to show the unity of America after the sneak attack at Pearl Harbor. A block of stone from each state was used to create this patriotic roadside attraction.
Monument Of States
10. _________________________ – I leave this one blank for just for you. Do you have a favorite “Odd” Roadside Attraction that you feel everyone must see. I would love to know what it is, please share it in the comments below!
#Florida #vacation #DayTrip #Orlando #RoadsideAttractions #TheBubbleRoom